Friday, August 20, 2010

London Broil

I made a London Broil for dinner last night & it was delicious! I am usually really bad for overcooking cuts of meat like this. If I don't overcook it I stab it with the meat thermometer so many times trying not to overcook it that the juices all run out & it's dry anyway. Yesterday I tried a different approach, the finger test. It worked like a charm! I've always heard about it but I didn't know how to tell when the meat was as done as I wanted. I could only tell if it was basically raw or overdone. The link above explains it really well (with pictures) but I'll do it in a nutshell. You feel the piece of meat below your thumb & compare it to the way the meat feels. If you feel it with your hand completely open, that's the way raw meat feels. I wanted to cook the London Broil medium rare, to do this you touch your middle finger to your thumb. When your meat feels that way, it's medium rare. :-) You use different fingers for different levels of doneness.


Marinating

I marinated the meat for about 3 hours in the fridge. I used equal parts balsamic vinegar & Worcestershire sauce then I rubbed on minced garlic & steak seasoning (I like McCormick but Mrs. Dash is good too). I flipped it over every 30 minutes or so to make sure both sides were nice & marinated. About an hour & a half before I was ready to cook it I took it out to bring it to room temperature. I seared both sides (about 3 minutes each) then I put it in the toaster oven at 325 for about 15-20 minutes to finish. I checked it about every 5 minutes because I really didn't want to overcook it. The time will depend on how thick your meat is though. While it was cooking in the toaster oven I put it back in the sauce it marinated in (I let just the marinade cook by itself for a few minutes to make sure the bacteria from the raw meat was cooked off since I didn't know how long the meat would take to finish cooking.)

I sauted some onions with the meat & threw it in the marindade while it was cooking. So yummy!

I know the lighting in the dining room sucks :-/ but I actually had some pink!

Success :-)

We have quite a bit left over. I'm thinking about using some of it to make cheese steaks. Should be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment