Saturday, August 7, 2010

Last Night's Dinner...Economical Surf n Turf

Since our camera just came in I'll probably have several posts over the next few days to catch up. I'll start with dinner from last night. We had steak, crab cake stuffed potatoes, green beans, rolls with some yummy garlic & herb butter spread & a delicious dessert!

Since we've moved to MD and I've tried it a few times, I've kind of become obsessed with crab. Blue crabs around the Chesapeake are kind of like chowder in Boston. I found the recipe from another knottie, thanks Malea! She has some amazing looking recipes & I'll be trying some more!

Crab Cake Stuffed Baked Potatoes
**Serving size 4**

4 Small-Medium Sized Baking Potatoes
1 can crab meat, drained
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 dashes lemon juice
1/4 t garlic powder
1/2 t Old Bay Seasoning
dash salt & pepper
2 T Smart Balance Tub Style Butter
1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs

1. Scrub potatoes and bake in microwave until completely cooked. Remove and let cool for a moment
2. Meanwhile mix sour cream, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, old bay, salt, pepper and crab together. Mixing well
3. Cut slit in top of potato and scoop out insides of potato combining well with the crab mixture. Try to leave around a 1/4th-inch next to skin to create a nice shell.
4. Combine potato/crab mixture well
5. Melt 2 T butter and stir into mixture
6. Spoon mixture into potato shells
7. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top
8. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes

I added little salad shrimp...probably about 1/4 cup & they were really good in it. I would probably add a little more & reduce the spicy mustard to 1T if I made it again.


Garlic & Herb Butter Spread
3 cloves garlic-minced
4T butter-room temp
3T herbs

Mix it all up & enjoy! I just used fresh herbs from our little garden. I used Basil, Thyme (my fave!), Oregano & Rosemary. I added a little dry Parsley & it was perfect!







No comments:

Post a Comment