Saturday, September 11, 2010

MMMMexican!

I like all types of food. Italian, Chinese, Japanese, I could go on forever. I would say Mexican has to be my absolute favorite! If I have Chinese once, I'm good for at least another 6 months or so. I could eat Mexican all the time! Last week we had Mexican several times. My favorite dish was by far a Beef Enchilada Casserole. It was absolutely amazing!

I got this new cookbook that I LOVE! Cook Once Eat Twice by Better Homes & Gardens. It's filled with slow cooker recipes that make enough for 2 meals. You use the leftovers from the first meal to make something completely different for another night of the week. You can freeze many of the recipes for a month or so if you want. I've made a few recipes from it & so far I haven't been disappointed at all. This is where I got the Enchilada Casserole recipe. It is supposed to be made using leftovers from an herb-rubbed pot roast. I saw the recipe & I really wanted to try it but I wasn't really in the mood for a pot roast. I just made it with ground beef & it was still amazing! I'll eventually try it with the pot roast too.

Beef Enchilada Casserole

1 c chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 10-oz cans enchilada sauce
1/2 t ground cumin
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1 1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack, Chihuahua, or Cheddar cheese
10 6 in. corn tortillas, cut into 1 in. strips
Reserved meat from pot roast recipe (2 1/2 c)
I substituted about 1 lb of ground beef

Step 1: cook onion & garlic in hot oil over med. heat until tender. Reserve 1/2 c enchilada sauce, set aside. Stir in remaining enchilada sauce, reserved meat, cumin & cinnamon. Bring to boiling & remove from heat


Step 2: Spoon 1/2 the meat mixture into a greased 2-qt baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c cheese. Top with half of tortilla strips. Repeat & pour reserved 1/2 c enchilada sauce over tortillas. Cover with foil


Step 3: Bake, covered at 350 about 35 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil & sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered for 5-7 minutes or until cheese melts.

I served it with black beans.

SO YUMMY!


A yummy strawberry margarita to go with it :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment