Saturday, September 11, 2010

Beefy Tostada Pie

I love using my slow cooker & I love mexican food. This recipe is both & it's amazing!

Ingredients:
2 t olive oil
1 1/2 c chopped onion
2 lb ground beef
1 t chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 c black olives
8 flour tortillas
4 c shredded cheese
sour cream, salsa, guacamole for topping

I ommitted the black olives because I don't like them. I used corn tortillas rather than flour becasue that's what I had on hand & I love the flavor.

Directions
Step 1: Heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion & cook until tender. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, salt & garlic; cook until browned. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Stir in black olives
Step 2: Make foil handles using 3 18x2 in strips of heavy foil. Place in slow cooker; crisscross foil to form spoke design. Lay 1 tortilla on foil strips. Spread with meat sauce & layer of cheese. Top with another tortilla, meat sauce & cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Cover & cook on high 1 1/2 hours.
I only used 2 handles. I don't recommend this. When I took it out the bottom started to fall apart. This probably wouldn't have happened if I would have used 3.
Step 3: To serve, lift out of slow cooker using foil handles & transfer to serving platter. Discard foil. Cut into wedges. Serve with desired toppings.

This was REALLY good but it's a little messy.

From one of my favorite slow cooker recipe books.

No comments:

Post a Comment