Friday, May 27, 2011

Bailey's Progress Report

Training
Bailey had her first puppy class this Monday! We signed her up for a 6 week class & we'll meet once a week. We're skipping the upcoming week for Memorial Day though. There are 15 puppies in her class. She wanted to sniff them all but her favorite was an English Bulldog named Hercules. They were so cute together. They kept trying to play during the orientation. I didn't learn much at the orientation since I've been around dogs so long, but it was still good for Bailey. Socialization is the main reason we're doing this. She already knows most of the stuff we'll be learning in the class...she just won't do it around distractions. This will help in that area. She'll also learn to heel. This is something we're struggling with so I'm glad we'll be starting on it during the next class. The class size is large but our instructor, Jenna, said they usually start large & people stop coming. Apparently the Thursday class is a lot smaller, but Monday works better for our schedules. I'll eventually take some pictures during her classes, but I didn't want to be the weirdo during her first class. Haha. 

Potty Training
We are finally making a lot of progress in this area! Bailey has only had 1 potty accident in the house since we moved in! She will go to the door, but she hasn't figured out how to tell us she needs to go out yet. Sometimes she will bark at us if we're on the bedroom floor. If we're on the second floor, she'll just go downstairs and wait by the door. Eventually we figure out she's missing & we'll go take her out. Our trainer has convinced us to get her some poochie bells. This way we can teach her to ring them when she has to go out. We won't be able to hear it from the top floor, but it shouldn't be a problem if we're on the second floor. I decided I wanted to make my own. I doubt it will be any cheaper ( I have most of the materials & I'm already up to $8, they sell them for $12) but I got to pick out the design :-) 

Bailey is also holding it all day now! She hasn't used the bathroom in the house all week while we've been at work. This is probably because we're keeping her in the foyer now, and there's no carpet to pee on. She doesn't really pee on potty pads, she just chews them up. We're also giving her less water. We were giving her way too much before. She will get excited & tinkle when we come home but hopefully she will grow out of that. 

Bailey's Newest Victim
Bailey tore up part of the linoleum floor we have in the foyer. I'm not sure how she did it, I guess she scratched it up. I was kind of surprised, but not super angry. We're replacing them with tile anyway...she just moved the task of replacing the ugly floors with pretty tile up on our to do list. 


Toys
I picked up a little chew toy for Bailey at the dollar store. She was in love with it! But then she killed it in the first 30 minutes!


Then...I just ripped out the rest of the stuffing (except the head, it's stuffed separately) and it's kind of like one of the stuffless toys they charge $12 for. Good as new!

We've decided to get a second crate for Bailey. Petco has them on sale now with free shipping! It might sound silly to have 2 crates. But it's not fun lugging it up & down 2 sets of stairs twice a day! We'll keep one on the bottom floor for her to use while we're at work and for us to travel with. The other will stay in our bedroom for her to sleep in at night. 

Since we're getting a second crate, we decided to get a second bed. I was SO excited when I found this one...I was even more excited when I found out it was only $16! I love Marshall's :-) This one will go in the downstairs crate since it will match our State room. (The ribbon I got to make her poochie bells with matches this perfectly!)


No comments:

Post a Comment