Monday, May 2, 2011

Sweet Potato Rolls

I found this recipe for sweet potato rolls not long before Easter. It does seem like more of a Thanksgiving recipe but I had to try them. They were SO good! 

Ingredients
- 2 c self rising flour
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t ground allspice
- 1/4 c butter
- 3 T shortening
- 1 c mashed sweet potatoes
- 6 T milk
- 2 T butter, melted (for brushing on biscuits)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400.

Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon & allspice in a bowl. 

Cut in 1/4 cup of butter & shortening with fork until blended & crumbly. 

Add mashed sweet potatoes and milk, stir until dry ingredients are moist. (Don't do what I did here and add the melted butter too...you will have to play around and add even more flour to make the dough workable. The melted butter is for brushing over the biscuits.) 

Turn out on a lightly floured surface (I used a cookie sheet to make cleanup easier) and knead a few times. Roll out to about 1/2 thickness.  Cut with a 2 inch cookie or biscuit cutter. Place on un-greased baking sheet and brush with butter. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  

Enjoy!


I apologize for the lack of pictures. I intended on doing step by step photos. I just got into the zone I guess :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment