Monday, May 9, 2011

Carne Asada Burritos

For  Cinco De Mayo I wanted to make a yummy Mexican dish. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. Of course, I tweaked it a little. I had a flank steak on hand, so I just sliced it & used it rather than searching for Carne Asada beef.

Ingredients:
(Ingredients with a star are my additions) 



- 1/2 c EVOO
- 2 T Lime Juice (I used fresh limes but feel free to use Real Lime)
- 1/2 t Ground Cumin
* 1/2 t Chili Powder
- 1/4 t Kosher Salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
* 1 t Cilantro
- 1/2 c Chopped Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 lb Flank Steak, sliced
- Tortillas

Directions:



Combine EVOO, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and cilantro. Pour over flank steak and marinate for at least 1 hour. I let mine marinate for about 2.

Add about 2 T Vegetable Oil to a grill pan and heat to medium. Cook meat about 3 minutes on each side. Let rest then cut into thin strips.

I decided to make a platter with all the toppings so we could make our own burritos. I used the meat, guacamole, Bush's Refried Black Beans, Mexican/Spanish rice that I threw together, and a mixture of corn, red bell peppers and onions. We also had cheese and sour cream. This was SO good! We had enough leftovers for lunch one day and for breakfast burritos another day. For the breakfast burritos I just added scrambled eggs and salsa.

For the rice, I didn't measure anything. It was something I decided to make last minute so I didn't really use a recipe. I just used a cup of rice. I cooked it in chicken stock. I added some chopped onion & garlic, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, leftover tomato from the guacamole and a little bit of crushed red pepper. I added the juices from the meat after it was finished cooking for a little more flavor. I was actually very pleased with how it turned out :-)



I'll definitely be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment