Friday, February 10, 2012

Kitchen Decorating

I have been really bad about updating things, especially with the house. We're also really bad at actually finishing projects, so that may have a little to do with it. It's not very exciting without AFTER pictures, is it? Well, hopefully I'll be able to get a few of those up here at some point in the near future.

For my 101 in 1001 list, I wanted to make something to display in our house. I actually have the materials to make at least 2 other items, but I finished my first one back in...Octoberish? Haha. Yea, like I said...way behind!

Remember when we adjusted our cabinets so we could put in a microwave over the stove? Well, that left 2 awkward looking empty spots on either side of the stove. I thought about putting plants up there, but I didn't. Then I decided to put decorative plates up there. I liked that idea better, so I started searching. Everything I found that I liked was a bit more than I wanted to pay, so I decided to make some. I still had some glass paint left over from some of the gifts I made for our wedding party, and luckily, we're decorating our kitchen in our wedding colors. I love polka dots, so I decided to go with that. I used the wrong side of a few paintbrushes (because I wanted  my dots to be different sizes). I use the wrong side so the dots will be consistent in size/shape. It's a LOT harder to do this with the actual brush. Trust me!

I went to Goodwill and found 2 Crate & Barrel plates that I loved for $6 total! The decorative ones that I was finding online that I liked were more like $15+ EACH. Not too bad!




I would love to decorate some other items to match these, I have plenty of space above the rest of my cabinets that could be decorated :-)

1 comment: