Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Healthy Sweet Potato Skins

I know it's been FOREVER since I've posted a recipe. I found this recipe for Healthy Sweet Potato Skins on Pinterest and I decided to give it a shot. I'm SO glad I did! I wasn't sure I would like it, but I had a can of chick peas I needed to use, so I went for it. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures, I didn't realize my camera was dead until I tried to turn it on. 

Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 shallot, minced
1 bag of fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup sour cream
2 ounces cream cheese
1 cup chickpeas
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
1) Bake sweet potatoes at 350 until fork tender
2) Cut sweet potatoes in half and let cool. Saute shallots with butter over medium heat until translucent. Add spinach and heat for a few minutes. Set aside.
3) Hollow out the sweet potatoes, leaving a small layer with the skin. Place the skins in the oven for about 5 more minutes. Mash the sweet potato with softened cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in Spinach and shallots. Mash chickpeas and add to mixture (I did this because I don't particularly care for the texture of whole chickpeas...and Josh doesn't like them so I was trying to hide them from him).
4) Remove skins from oven and re-fill with mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes. 

I made a few minor changes from the original recipe. I didn't have light cream cheese or sour cream so I used regular. I didn't add any salt or pepper, I used less butter to saute the shallots and spinach, and I didn't oil the potato skins. I also used slightly less sour cream. 

I really really liked this recipe and I'll be making it again. Josh got really excited at first because he thought I put crab in them (which I may try at some point!). I have no idea why he thought this, but he did. I told him I would tell him what was in them after he told me if he liked them. Bad idea. I should have just let him think it was straight sweet potatoes. He was a bit turned off when he found the leftover chickpeas, but he was a good sport and tried them anyway. He said he didn't mind them but he couldn't look at them objectively since he knew they were in there. I'm personally not a fan of chickpeas either. I don't like them whole, I don't even like hummus. If I tried these without knowing what was in them, I would never be able to guess, so even if you think you won't like them, this recipe is worth a shot. 

This recipe is from Pinch of Yum, and I'm so glad I stumbled upon this blog. There are lots of other tasty looking recipes I just can't wait to try! Umm...Crab and Avacado Nachos, Skinny Chicken Enchiladas...YES PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment