Saturday, October 29, 2011

Staycation!

This past week, we had lots of friends/family come visit! Anna and John, who are our best friends (plus John is Josh's cousin) came from Miami on Wednesday and stayed until Monday. Chris came from Raleigh on Saturday and stayed until Thursday, and Kallie came from SC on Saturday and stayed until Tuesday. Josh and I took some much needed vacation while they were in town. 

Josh, Anna and John picked me up from work on Wednesday, then went out for dinner and drinks. We got a delicious crab pizza from Joe Squared then we went out for drinks at Howl at the Moon. It was fun just catching up. Thursday we went to get burgers and we drove up to Hydes, MD to go on a tour at Boordy Vineyards. The place was absolutely gorgeous and the tour was really good. The wines tasted great too!

 The guys at happy hour


 
The whole group!

The hubby and I <3

Friday we wanted to relax a bit. Anna and I got a long overdue massage. I haven't had a massage since the couples massage we got on our honeymoon and I've wanted another one since then. It was great, but after only 3 days back at work, I already feel like I need another one! I think I'll try  to get one once a year :-) They're too expensive to get much more often than that. Josh and John went to play disc golf. They had fun, but Josh lost his phone :-/.

Saturday we drove down to Charlottesville to see the NC State/UVA game. We got there early to meet up with more friends and tailgate before the game. The weather was great, the tailgating was great, AND we won! The campus is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't believe how amazing the views from the stadium were.


Bailey was so tired on the way to Kyle's in the morning.


But she was too curious to go to sleep!

 The girls

 The guys

 The hubs and I...with part of the amazing view!

 The Martins!

Oops...how did we get down there?

Sunday, we all went to a pumpkin farm. We went on a hay ride, walked through what was supposed to be a corn maze (it was really just a path through corn) and picked out pumpkins we were planning to carve later that night. I was super excited because Josh and I have actually never carved a pumpkin together. I can't believe it's taken us over 10 years to carve a pumpkin! We got home and could not find our pumpkin carving kit! We finally just gave up and decided to hang out since it was Anna and John's last night.
 The hubs and I with our first pumpkin!

Silly guys :-) Love them!

Anna and John were flying out of Reagan, so we drove down to the National Harbor for lunch. We went to Cadillac Ranch. The food was really good and it seems like it would be a really fun place in the evenings. The service wasn't impressive though. After that, we walked around the Gaylord Hotel. It's absolutely gorgeous inside. It's like a little indoor town. I wish we would have had more time to look around, but we had to get on the road! It's a good thing we did, because traffic was horrible. We'll definitely be going back in the future. On the way home from the airport, we stopped to pick up pumpkin carving kits. Chris and Kallie both had bought pumpkins and we wanted them to be able to carve them before they left. I wish we would have taken pictures when we were carving or at least with our pumpkins when we were finished. I was so tired, I didn't even think of taking pictures until yesterday! We cleaned the seeds so we could roast them. I made some cinnamon/sugar ones (surprisingly, I wasn't impressed with these) and some Old Bay seeds (these were delicious).

Tuesday morning, Josh got up to take Kallie to Dulles. I stayed home to pick up around the house a little bit and start planning for the day. Chris wanted to go to a winery while he was here, so we needed to pick one out. Boordy is on the Piedmont Wine Trail, so I wanted to pick another winery on the same trail. It wasn't that hard to choose since most of them do tours from Wednesday-Sunday. We chose Fiore Winery. Now we've seen 2 of the 8 wineries on this wine trail! This one was WAY smaller than Boordy. The buildings were not as pretty as our first tour, but the views were gorgeous! I really enjoyed both tours. On the way home, we stopped at G&M. They have delicious crab cakes! The prices are about the same as a lot of the other crab cakes you'll find around here, but the size actually makes these worth it! As always, it was delicious...and I had leftovers for lunch. I had to work the next day, so I went to bed early while they guys played Halo.
Josh and Hutch!

The hubby and I in front of some grape vines. Look at that view!

Wednesday was a tough day back at work for me. I was really bummed that 1) some of our friends had gone home and 2) that Josh and Chris were still home. Josh and Chris came and picked me up from work. We went to McCormick & Schmick's for happy hour. They have an amazing happy hour menu! This was another early night for me since I had to be at work again. Chris left Thursday afternoon before I got home :-/

All in all, this was a great vacation...even if we didn't really travel. It was great to have some familiar faces around for a while and to get to show them around a little. It's tough getting back into the routine. Luckily, we'll meet up again in a month over Thanksgiving weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment