Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti

I recently finish reading Pioneer Woman's book, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. I loved it BTW! In the book, she mentions Chicken Spaghetti. I was interested so I looked the recipe
up on her blog. She has a detailed step by step on her blog, so you can check that out if you like. I made one change (I used Chili Powder instead of Cayenne Pepper, because I didn't have any Cayenne). 

Ingredients

 - 3 cups dry Spaghetti, broken into 2 inch pieces 
(While breaking these I discovered that Bailey likes dry pasta)

 - 2 cups Cooked Chicken, (I used leg quarters)

 - 1/4 cups each of Diced Green Pepper and Diced Onion (I added Diced Red Bell Pepper too) For the peppers, I used frozen, because I have a TON of them in my freezer

 - 1 4 oz jar Diced Pimentos, Drained

 - 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper

 - 1 can Cream of Mushroom
- 1 can Cream of Chicken

 - 2 cups Shredded Cheddar (reserve 1 cup for topping)

Cook pasta in chicken broth (either reserved from cooking your chicken or from a can). I used the broth left over from cooking the chicken. Strain pasta.

Mix all the ingredients together and pour in casserole dish. Top with remaining cup of Cheddar Cheese. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Cover if your cheese starts to burn. I served this with little crusty french bread rolls. It's delicious!


This was quite time consuming (I shredded my own cheese, so it could be faster if you used the pre-shredded stuff) but it was worth it. I made a double batch and froze the second one. PW says you can freeze it for up to 6 months, but it definitely won't last that long around here! Since this is a time consuming dish, I definitely recommend making a double batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment