Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Household Binder

I mentioned in my 101 in 1001 list that I wanted to complete a household binder. I really want to get more organized and I think this is a good start. I'm just about ready to tackle this project! Josh and I have decided to put house projects on hold for a few months because we're just burnt out. Once we finish our current one (the half bath), that's it until...I don't really know when, but at least after New Years. This will give me some more time to work on things I want to accomplish. I've decided to make this my December project so I'll be all ready for the new year! For now, I'll stick to planning, finding inspiration and collecting the supplies I'll need.

One of my favorite blogs for inspiration I've found so far is IHeart Organizing. Not only are there great ideas for making a household binder, but she's got great tips on organizing ANY part of your house you can think of. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time there!

Here are my potential categories and the things that will be under each section:

- Meal Planning: fridge, freezer and pantry inventory; dishes we want to try?
- Finances: Payment schedule/checklist, account info, maybe I'll print a copy of our budget for here? Maybe not?
- Home Maintenance: Cleaning checklists/schedules, maintenance schedule (like changing filters, checking smoke detector batteries, etc.), contact info for contractors that we've used. I want to get a baseball card sleeve to add business cards to this section
- Contacts: phone numbers, addresses and e-mails of friends/family
- Pets: Bailey's vaccination schedule, heatworm/flea prevention schedule, vet info, emergency vet info, boarding/daycare facilities...or maybe this one should go in the travel section?
- Emergency Info: Drs (when we finally get a regular Dr), closest hospital info (is it bad that I still don't know where our closest hospital is?), Dentist, OBGYN...eventually pediatrician, etc. I haven't decided if I'll call this tab emergency info for sure...maybe just Healthcare (since it's not all emergency info?)
- Travel: packing list (I make one EVERY time we go somewhere and it pretty much stays the same...this way I can save some time :-)), care instructions for Bailey in case we have a sitter (as well as kids...eventually)
- Auto: maintenance schedule/checklist

Some other things I'm thinking about putting in there:
- Project to-do list (like, major projects for the house)
- Paint swatches we've used for the house, (with the room they were used in written on them)
- Past home improvements

The more I think about it, the more I think I could make a whole separate binder with the last few things.

So...what do you think? What would you put in your binder? Are there any categories I'm missing? Just something within a category I'm missing? Would you put something under a different category? I would love any suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment