Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving!!!

I LOVE Thanksgiving! It's one of my favorite holidays. We left MD Tuesday afternoon to drive to our hometown. I thought traffic would be really bad since we were leaving around 3. We didn't hit a bit of traffic. We got to Josh's mom's house late Tuesday night & spent a little time with his mom, step dad & grandparents. I love his grandparents to death! Most of my grandparents died when I was really young & I wasn't close to the rest of them so I'm really glad Josh is so close to his. We went to bed early since we had been up since 5 & we were so tired from the long ride.

Wednesday morning we got up to take my niece to her first gymnastics class. She was really shy at first. She's only 3 & she hasn't had much interaction with kids her age. Once she warmed up she had a ton of fun. This is her on the balance beam. She had to learn to wait in line behind the other little girls :-)

Her pants kept getting in the way because they're too long for her. She calls them her Wolfpack pants because they're red :-) Love it!

After gymnastics we went to my mom's to get some cooking done. I made a sweet potato pie, sweet potato casserole & a pumpkin cheesecake. I LOVE sweet potato pie. This is only the second one I've ever made from scratch. I forgot to take a picture after it was done.
While the pie was cooling on the table Josh & went outside to visit with my cousin. My mom came out from the porch to ask if I still had the recipe. Her min pin got on the table & ate around the edges of my pie! I was so mad at the time but I guess it's kind of funny. My mom made another one so it wasn't a huge deal I guess. I kind of wish I would have taken a picture now.

Thanksgiving day is always a really busy time for us. First we eat with Josh's mom's side of the family. We eat lots of food then just hang out & spend time together. This is one of the only times of the year we get to visit with his aunt & uncle so we both really enjoy it. Next, we go to my mom's & have Thanksgiving dinner #2 around 2:00 with my parents. My parents are divorced but luckily they still get along well & we can still have the holidays together. Last, we go to Josh's aunt's & hang out with his Dad's side of the family. Most of the family is usually gone by the time we get there but we usually get to see a few of them. This year we got to see a couple of his aunts, his uncle & his dad. We ate some dessert & the best stuffing I've ever had while we were there. I'll have to get that recipe :-)


This is Josh after dinner #2 at my mom's...watching Detroit let us down :-/ That's my Dad in the background.

It's our tradition to get up at the crack of dawn & go shopping on Black Friday. It may be crazy but we have fun & we usually get some really good deals. We got the majority of our Christmas shopping done & we got new coats for ourselves. There were so many great deals, I could have spent a ton if we weren't trying to save money!

After a long day of shopping, leftovers & a nap we left to come back home. We left around 4 & were back by a little after 9. Again...no traffic! I was so surprised :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment