Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Baby K - 38 Weeks!!!

7/25/2016


Baby K is about the size of a Pomeranian this week! I can't believe how big our "little" one is getting already! It's definitely a tighter fit in my belly than it was before, but we're still getting lots of movement. It's funny seeing the different shapes my belly is as the baby moves and trying to guess what's going on in there!

As for me, symptoms are mostly the same. Definitely still lots of peeing, carpal tunnel, my feet swell most days, some lower back pain, trouble sleeping some nights, but I still get decent sleep others (decent is if I'm able to fall right back asleep after each of the 4-5 times I get up to pee. lol). I'm noticing that I'm more tired this week, but heartburn is less frequent. In general, I've been a little more irritable during pregnancy, but that has definitely increased over this past week or 2. I am incredibly thankful that I work from home right now - I just don't know how I would deal with being around people for a full day, even people I really like.

Emotionally, I'm doing pretty well. I'm no longer sad about baby coming out soon, most of the time anyway. People keep saying things like - "I bet you can't wait to get that baby out, aren't you!" And honestly, I'm in no hurry. Sure, I'm super excited to meet our little one and to find out the sex. I'm excited to see whose features he or she has. All of those things. BUT, I will forever cherish the moments I've been able to carry this little one. All of those little movements in my belly, watching my belly move, I'll miss that. Once baby comes out, that's it. It will never go back inside. So no, I'm not rushing it out. I will miss my bump. I know I'm large, but most of the time, I don't feel like a whale. When I do, it's not when I look in the mirror, it's when I have to get out of bed. Haha. I actually still feel very beautiful, despite my once very cute, dainty feet looking like sausages. I know the way I feel about my body will change after the baby. I won't get into that right now, because I want to stay in a good mood and thinking of how my post-baby body may look doesn't make me feel the best ever. I'm uncomfortable at times, but I feel pretty great to be as far along as I am and I would definitely not say I'm miserable.

We had our 38 week appointment and we got to meet the last midwife that may be on call when we go in labor. She was super sweet! She commented on my cute belly and how soft it was, then she asked what I was putting on it. Of course that made me feel good! Aside from that though, she took the time to review when the time to come in is, some quick comfort measures for early labor, what I can be doing to prepare myself for labor now, our meal after baby comes, etc. My blood pressure was really good, baby sounded great and its heart rate was 140. I had blood drawn at my last appointment and we went over that. Everything looks great. She said I'm nowhere near anemic - my iron looks great, so keep eating what I'm eating. Keep eating everything - I think I can do that! Haha. I actually lost a little weight this week! I forgot to weigh myself last week, but I'm down about a pound from where I was at my last appointment, 2 weeks ago. It's nothing to be alarmed about - it's normal for weight gain to slow down or even to lose a little bit at the end. I'm not sure how it happened, because I eat all the time. I am trying to walk more often, which is extremely difficult with this weather we've been having lately! Either way, I'm not disappointed. I'm healthy and baby is healthy, and I MIGHT just stay under the 50 lb weight gain I was expecting! I asked if she could guess how big the baby is and while she emphasized that it was nothing more than a guess, she said she guessed probably around 7lbs. She asked how big I was and how big Josh was and she guessed that the little one would be closer to Josh's size. I expressed my concern of having difficulty pushing out a big baby and she put me at ease a little. She said she has seen some small babies work themselves into awkward positions, so sometimes a big baby isn't so bad. The thought is still intimidating, but it definitely makes me feel better. :-)

Josh is getting more and more excited. I think after we hit 39 weeks, he's ready for baby to come any time! He said he thinks he'll be super anxious just waiting and waiting for it to happen, so he hopes we don't really go past our due date. Haha. We found out he has to take his parental leave all together, and after talking about it, we've decided he'll take all 4 weeks at the beginning with me. If I need him at home while I transition back to work, he'll just work from home some and if we still want to go on a trip at the end of my maternity leave, he'll take some vacation. We both know our parental leave won't be anything like a vacation, but we're both very much looking forward to the time we get to bond with our little one without work getting in the way!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment