Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Few Little Updates

This post is SUPER late. My family came to visit a few weekends ago (and they've actually been up to visit again since then)! Bailey was SO excited to see everyone and they couldn't believe how much she's grown since they saw her last. Every  time I talk to my niece, without fail, she asks, "How is my Bailey Bear doing, is she bigger than me yet?" Haha. So cute!

This was a fun but very busy weekend. Here are some highlights...

We got our new bed! I'm SO excited about this. The inspiration for this bed is Pottery Barn's Stratton Bed. Obviously, we didn't want to spend that much money on just the bed. I found Ana White's plans for the knockoff. I posted about this a little before, but Josh and I were planning on building the bed ourselves. My dad volunteered to do it for us! I'm SO glad. At the rate we're going, we would still have a pile of wood sitting in our garage. We saved a LOT of money this way too. We got the bed, a TV stand, an awesome new mattress set and a frame for the guest bed...ALL of that for less than just the bed at PB. We still have to paint the headboard and TV stand (they have been primed though), so this isn't quite complete yet. The bed is SO high. I guess it isn't much higher than our old bed, but quite a bit higher than the frame we had before this one (now the guest bed frame). Josh loves it being that high. I'm still trying to get used to it. We'll be replacing the bedding soon. I have to decide what kind I want, so we'll probably have this one for a while. The one we currently have on it is a king and its too big. If we put a queen on it though, the boxspring will definitely show all the way around. A bedskirt isn't an option since we have the drawers. I wanted to just go without the boxspring since the bed is solid, it would provide the support the mattress needs. Josh doesn't like that idea. I'm not ruling it out just yet.

We got some more painting done! YAY for 40% off at Sherwin Williams! The upstairs hallway is White Raisin. We had originally decided on Anjou Pear, but I talked to a designer and she thought it would be too dark. I picked up a sample of the White Raisin to try it on the walls. At first, I didn't like it at all, but once it dried completely, I loved it! Now we have to paint the downstairs stairway. We bought too much of the White Raisin, so I may lighten it a bit and paint my craft room a lighter yellow than the hallway.

All of the ugly fans are officially out of the house! Daddy has changed them out either for fans we like or for lights. Right now we have a plain light above our dining table. There used to be a REALLY ugly fan there. The light isn't permanent. It's just there until we find the right chandelier for the space :-) It's still much better than the old fan. I really like our bedroom fan, but it hangs too low right now. We're going to put a 12" downrod on it the next time my dad visits. I'm really excited because the fans in our bedroom and the State Room both have remotes (I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they work though).
 A bad pic of the old master bedroom fan

Our new fan in the master

We had plans to finish the back yard, but it was WAY too hot to do that much yard work. With a heat index well above 100, we decided against that project very quickly.

We got a few other repairs done. My dad fixed our lazy susan cabinet. The one we had only had 1 shelf and it was cracked. We found another one for free on Craigslist. Daddy took the lazy susan insert out and put it in our cabinet. He doubled my storage space in that cabinet!

Bailey got play time with Kila!
 Kila just wanted to nap...Bailey wasn't having it.

Luckily, Kila is possibly the most patient dog in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment