Saturday, August 6, 2011

Bailey's Progress Report

This week has been a rollercoaster for us. Bailey has had great days and horrible days. She was still sick at the beginning of the week, so she had a bad accident in the foyer. Luckily, my husband is amazing and cleaned everything up while I took our sick Bailey for a walk. She's all better now :-) Now...I'll start with the bad and end with the good. 

Bailey's Victims
Josh and I leave for work around 7. One morning this week, a strange number kept calling my phone shortly after I dropped Josh off for work. I ignored it the first few times then I answered. It was Josh, but his regular work number wasn't showing up for some reason. Anyway, he told me that he needed me to go back home because he left some CDs on the stairs. He can only listen to CDs for music at work, so he checks them out from the library. Well, by the time I answered, I had already passed all the exits that I knew could get me home. Of course, I reached for my trusty Garmin, just to realize that I left it at home in another purse. I made a few guesses and after recognizing absolutely nothing I called Josh to get me home. He told me where to go. Well I found Gorman Rd. which was supposed to get me to another road I know. I went down Gorman Rd. for a while and when I came to a farm, I knew I wasn't going in the right direction. I called Josh back. I was supposed to turn down Gorman Ave! Anyway, I finally got back to our house at 8:15. I was a little too late. I didn't take pictures of the actual mess. I had called and told my boss I would be a little late. I was already 15 minutes late and I had to clean up and take the 30 minute trip to work. I was in a hurry. I picked up the mess, vacuumed up the little pieces so Bailey wouldn't eat them, grabbed something for lunch because Josh accidentally took mine out of the car, and left. 

When I got home at 8:15, so just over an hour of Bailey being alone, she had chewed up 2 CDs and their cases, found all the treats we had hidden for her, and eaten all her ice. I was thinking the ice lasted her most of the day and that it would take her a while to find all her treats. She had even eaten all the frozen PB out of her kong! 

Another day in the week, I knocked at the door when we got home from work to see if Bailey would bark.  Finally, after lots of knocking and like 2 minutes, we heard her bark. Josh thought then that she had figured out a way to get over the gate. Nope...we forgot to put the gate up like idiots. This is what we came home to.

 These were NC State basketball poster. We have some more and I'm really hoping these aren't the ones that Kay Yow and Sidney Lowe signed. I haven't looked at the other ones yet. My mom brought them to us a few weekends ago and we still hadn't figured out what we wanted to do with them. They were just rolled up in the living room. She also peed on the carpet while she was up here, so that ended her longest streak as far as potty training goes. (I didn't count her accidents while she was sick because I know she couldn't help it). 

This is Bailey in time out while we were cleaning up her ridiculous mess.

Now for the good...

Bailey and I have been getting up early in the mornings to run this week. I have a new workout routine and I just completed my first week. 3 mornings a week, I run. 3 other mornings a week, I do 100 pushups (that's the name of the program, NOT how many pushups I do...not yet anyway). I'll rest on Sunday. Bailey has been a great running partner so far. She is definitely in better shape than me! Our runs (and by runs I mean short, slow jogs) are a little too short to get her tired right now, but I'll catch up with her eventually! I have been really impressed with her behavior while running with me. I do have to slow her down to my pace at times, especially when we're headed back home. That's really the only thing I've had to correct. This morning we saw a group of ducks and she didn't pay them any attention at all. We also saw a few geese. One of them hissed at us and she didn't pay them any attention either. There's a small nature preservation area and we run past that. I like that she gets the opportunity to see different types of animals. I think I might take my camera with me next time. We saw a woodpecker and some other very tall bird this morning. 

Training
We're still working on using voice commands when we're walking. We just give her a lot of slack so it kind of simulates no leash. She's showing a lot of improvement with this. As far as tricks, we're trying to decide what we'll teach her next. I think we're leaning toward "wave". We're going to work on retrieval tricks once she's finished teething, so we have a while to go for that. 

Her ears are doing much better. They're back to normal now, but I'm going to keep giving her meds for a few more days to make sure everything is completely cleared up. She's not scratching them anymore except right after I give her meds. We set up an appointment for Bailey to get spayed at the beginning of September. We'll  take her in the morning of the 8th and pick her up that night. Josh is off that Friday, so we'll have a long weekend with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment