Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Inca Trail - Day 1 - Inca Flat - The "Easy" Day

When we first started planning our South America trip nearly 2 years ago, the Inca Trail was something we might do during our 3ish weeks in Ecuador and Peru. At some point, it turned in to the one thing we HAD to do. Eventually, it was the primary focus of our trip. We planned the dates of our trip around what dates we could get passes on the Inca Trail. After buying our house, moving and Josh switching jobs, we cut the length of the trip in half and only went to Peru. Turns out, that was about the perfect length for the trip. We missed Bailey and we were very ready to sleep in our own very comfy bed after 3 nights of camping in the Andes!

So, on to the action. Our tour group was Peru Treks and they were amazing! On the first day of the trail, we were picked up from our hostel at about 4:30am. Ronald walked from the main square to our hostel and walked with us back to the main square to meet our bus. We took the bus to a small town near Machu Picchu to stop for breakfast and to pick up anything anyone may have forgotten. This was a quick stop, then we made our way to the starting point. 

 It's getting real! Hubby adjusting my straps for me. 

Views are amazing already!

 Donkey photo-op!

 Our Peru Treks family!

Passports are stamped...it's go time!

We were told by our guides, Edwin and Ronald, that day 1 was the easy day. The "flat" day. There is no such thing as flat on the Inca Trail. We learned quickly that Inca Flat more along the lines of what we would consider the foothills of the mountains in NC. 




What's he looking at?!?

 SO beautiful!

 Dave & Theresa

 Cactus flowers!
For the first day and a half of the trail, there are families who actually live there. I couldn't help but wonder how it must be to grow up on the Inca Trail!

 We saw a lady herding her goats up the mountain

 Kids playing at our first break.

 Taking a very welcome break. I was much more tired at this point than I thought I would be.

 Any time I got tired and questioned why we were doing this, there were views like this to remind me!

 Some of the first remains we saw. Our guide, Edwin, made sure we understood the difference between remains and ruins. We saw all remains. They are not ruins because they were not destroyed...the Spanish never found these places.

SO pretty!

After lunch...I was tired, I was lightheaded and I was definitely questioning how I was going to finish the trail if day 1 was the easy day. I was NOT where I wanted to be mentally, that's for sure! Luckily, I have an amazing husband who is my rock. He kept me motivated for sure!

"Home" on our first night.

So, summary of day 1. It was hot. Sunny. Dry. All of the above. It is not easy, it's just easier than the other days (except the last). I am used to flat land. Where I live, the elevation is 434 ft above sea level. That is NOTHING compared to what we were experiencing here. I am used to humidity and lots of it. No matter how much I drank on the entire trail, I was thirsty. I drank a full 3L of water (in addition to the tea I had at lunch, breakfast and dinner) on day 1 and I still did not feel quite hydrated enough.


It was dusty. Look at how dirty my legs were from all the dust!


Another lesson I learned. Just because North American bugs don't care about your blood, doesn't mean South American bugs won't care for it. I used 30% deet insect repellent and I still had lots of bites. This particular bite didn't itch or hurt...not for several days at least.

After getting cleaned up and changed, I only meant to lay down for a few minutes, but I ended up taking a nap before dinner. Dinner was delicious by the way! All our meals were great! We had several different types of soups for lunch and dinner each day and they were all great! I don't remember what we had specifically each day now, but we had causas, mushroom ceviche, quinoa, fish, meat rolls, chaufa, SO much good food! After dinner, I was ready to crash early. We were getting up before 6 and day 2 is the hardest day, so I wanted to rest well!

So much for that. We saw so many dogs throughout the day. They were all so nice, quiet and well behaved when we saw them. They barked all night...

No comments:

Post a Comment