Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Opposite of Friday Favorites...for Last Week

So, last week, I didn't have a Friday Favorites post. Honestly, after our weekend home, last week was pretty darn crappy. Monday, I was rear ended by a tow truck on the way home. I was coming to a stop (the car in front of me was stopping), he rear ended me, and pushed me into the car in front of me. Not a great way to start the week. I was completely fine, just a bit shaken up. I had some random bruises and some muscle soreness the next day, but nothing major. Josh wanted me to go to the Dr. just to make sure everything was fine, so I did. They just said I had some tightness in my muscles, gave me a super awkward neck brace to wear and gave me some exercises to do. I'm completely fine now. 



 Tuffy made it out in one piece. I kind of wish I would have saved this so I could frame it and put it in the State Room. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it until we had already cleaned everything out of the Taurus. 

We had to drive a rental. Since we were just going to have this one for a week, we wanted something fuel efficient. We ended up with the Mazda2. I don't love the car, it's definitely not my style, but the color is absolutely hideous!!! The gas mileage was really good though. 

So, I spent most of last week dealing with insurance companies and all that fun stuff. We were 90% sure our car was totaled, so we started researching like crazy. By Friday, we still hadn't heard back from the adjustor, but we started shopping and test driving anyway. We didn't have a great experience at the first dealership. We looked at only used cars at this one, and they were near the top of our price range for a new car. We decided to test drive a manual Corolla anyway. We liked it, but we didn't love it. The salesman was very pushy and knew absolutely nothing about the car. I actually doubt he knows much about any car. He didn't know manuals came with cruise control (ummm...even I knew they did...and I don't know much about cars). Josh told him up front that this was our first test drive and we still had to hear back from the adjustor, but he just kept on and on. He finally mentioned us getting married early, so why not buy a car early. Josh said..."Yea, we dated 9 years before we got married." That finally did shut him up. Haha. 

Charleen and her boyfriend came over for a game night Friday night. Around 11:00, our power went out. There was a storm going on, but it didn't seem too bad, so I thought the power would be back on in no time.  We've never lost power in our house, so this was a first for us. Luckily, we have a ton of candles and a big flashlight. We kept playing games for a while. Josh and I went to bed around 1:00 and the power still wasn't on. We decided to sleep on the bottom floor since we didn't have A/C. I expected to have power when I woke up Saturday morning...NOPE! Apparently the storm was a lot worse than we thought. We went to test drive cars in Silver Spring (close to DC) Saturday, and it was worse there. The stoplights were out, so traffic was a mess. Gas stations were closed. Some of them had no power at all and some of them had run out of gas. Our gas light was on, and we were in the rental so we didn't know how long we could make it. There were a few gas stations open and they had ridiculously long lines. We had no choice but to wait since we didn't know how far it would be before we found another gas station open. We ended up waiting about 25-30 minutes for gas. Not fun, but it's better than pushing a car! 

We ended up not getting power until about midnight Monday. We were out of power for about 48 hours. It sucked, but there are a lot of people who STILL don't have power. It's hard to believe because it really doesn't look that bad. We had lots of branches and some small trees down, but that's about it. I know there were worse areas. Growing up in southeastern NC, we saw lots of hurricanes, and they were a lot worse than this storm. Fran was a horrible storm, and I think we were only out of power for 2 days. I know there are a lot more people up here (about 500,000 people were without power at some point due to the storm), but I still don't get it.

We passed time by car shopping, eating out and playing games. We tried to go to the movies, but they were out of power too. Luckily our downstairs area didn't get that hot. When the power came back on, our thermostat said our second floor was 87 degrees! Yikes!

Playing Monopoly in the foyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment