Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa & Tortilla Casserole

Mexican food is probably my absolute favorite. The weekend after we got back from vacation I was definitely craving some. I decided I would attempt to make some tomatillo salsa. I'm glad I did...it was YUM! Pretty easy too.


Tomatillo Salsa


Ingredients
-1 cup tomatillos, husked & finely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 serrano (or jalapeno) peppers, chopped
- 2 T cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced

(The original recipe had celery. I hate celery. I left that out.)


Directions
husk the tomatillos, just throw everything in the food processor whole. Pulse until it looks the way you want it to. I didn't do this the first time I made it. I chopped everything by hand. It didn't take that long but the food processor route only took about 30 seconds. I'll definitely stick to this way now.


Tortilla Casserole


Ingredients
- 6 6in. corn tortillas
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 1/2 c tomatillo salsa
- 1/3 c dairy sour cream
- 1 T water
- 1 med. avacado

(I added chopped chicken to this recipe, it just didn't sound very filling as-is)

Directions
Layer tortillas, cheese, onion, tomatillo salsa & chicken in a greased 2-qt baking dish. (Kind of like you would layer a lasagna) Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of casserole when you're finished layering. Bake, covered, at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Combine sour cream & water in a small bowl. Drizzle over casserole & garnish with avacado & cilantro.

I got both of these recipes from this book. It has lots of delicious recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment