Thursday, April 28, 2016

Baby K - 24 Weeks!

April 18, 2016


This week, our squishy is the size of an Atlantic Puffin (about 13 inches and around 1.5 lbs)! The puffin exhibit used to be one of my favorites at the Baltimore aquarium, so this excited me a little bit (OK - a lot)! Even more exciting...we hit our first viability milestone this week!!! Baby's lungs are now producing a surfactant that will keep them from sticking together and will allow them to expand once it's on the outside. It would still be an extremely scary time if our little one were to be born this early, but there would be a chance and those chances improve more and more each day! Keep on baking, little bun!

This chart (which is several years old, so hopefully numbers are even better now) shows how quickly odds increase over the next several weeks.

Less significant (but still exciting) things about baby's development - baby is developing taste buds. Our little one will be able to taste some of the things I eat in the coming weeks. There was one study that suggested this could impact baby's food preferences later in life. Who knows if this is actually true, but I'll do my part to try to have a non-picky eater!

As far as me, I'm doing pretty well! Any swelling I had from flying has gone away. Yay! I have noticed that the skin on my belly feels tighter and will sometimes get itchy, so I'm making sure I keep belly butter on it! I'm still getting the occasional heartburn. No real cravings, I just like to eat and I'm hungry pretty often. Now that I'm not on vacation anymore, I'm not sleeping quite as well, so I'm back to being a little tired.

Daddy K had a great week as far as baby is concerned as well! He felt a strong little nudge from our little one! Seeing his excitement melted my heart!

We've made a little more progress with baby things. We got the dresser that matches our crib and we bought a baby swing! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment